Sunday, August 25, 2013

Penland, Check.

My Penland experience: Andy Shaw was great, people were great, facilities and food were great,  mosquito bites were not great.

I made a few plates, several larger bowls, a bunch of cereal-size bowls, mugs, a jar and a couple of pitchers. I didn't leave with many finished pieces, mostly bisque ware. 

Andy Shaw, professor at LSU, is an amazing teacher and person. He is incredibly nice, easy to talk to and very perceptive. During the first week, he shared a lot of interesting thoughts about functional pots. He also talked about his decision making process and concepts behind his current body of work. 

A few early week pots. 
Slippin plates
Slip on the inside
Candy coated mugs. Tried out a couple different handles.
Oh leather hard
Since our class was only firing atmospheric kilns, Andy suggested I fire some things in oxidation. Susan let me use the baby kiln for these guys. Really happy I was able to do that.
A few plates. They were fired in a reduced soda kiln. Colors turned muddy and they warped severely. 
 2 redux, 1 salt, 1 soda, 4 days. Champs.
My gurlzzz Kat & Alanna. Chuppa Chikka.
Studio view from my wheel

The beautiful, thoughtful and sensitive work of Andy Shaw. He gave everyone in the class a piece. Incredible.

These past two weeks have been a thought-provoking and reflective time. I slowed down a bit and wrote a lot.
Feeling tired, emotional and anxious. Yay for adventure.
In Savannah, GA right now. Will be in Tampa, FL tomorrow afternoon.

Pressing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment